Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Mashed Potato Pancakes

From Grandma Graf, a side dish true to my German heritage! She told me once she started making these when she was just a teenager in the 1920's! At that time, my Great-Grandmother ran a boarding house, and my Grandma would help cook meals for the guests. These were a popular side dish because they were so cheap to make, and made good use of leftover mashed potatoes!


Mashed Potato Pancakes
---------------------------
2 cups seasoned mashed potatoes
1 tsp. chopped parsley
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 tsp. chopped onion
dash black pepper
crisco for pan frying

Combine potatoes, egg, onion, parsley and pepper. Shape into small round cakes about 3/4" thick. Brown cakes on both sides in hot crisco. Makes a few cakes.
(I copied this recipe directly from my Grandma's very old and aged recipe she had in her cookbox!)

No comments: