Sunday, March 14, 2010

Chocolate cream pie

I love that I can make this pie with inexpensive, basic ingredients I already have in my pantry. This pie is delicious..a true southern favorite! (I am from Kentucky, after all!)


Chocolate Cream Pie
--------------------
1 & 1/3 cups sugar
3 egg yolks
1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
3 tbsp. butter
1 (12 oz) can evaporated milk
1 (9 in) pie shell, baked
cool whip, whipped cream, or meringue for topping

In a deep saucepan, combine sugar, flour and cocoa. Beat egg yolks and milk and add to cocoa mixture. Cook on medium heat until thick while stirring with a wooden spoon. When thick, remove mixture from heat and stir in butter until melted. Pour filling into baked pie shell. Allow to cool in refrigerator. Top cooled pie with meringue, whipping cream, or cool whip, whatever you prefer to top it. (I go the easy way out and use cool whip!) Chill until serving. Store in the refrigerator. Serves 8.

No comments: