Sunday, April 13, 2008

Pumpkin Cream Cheese Roll

This is one of my holiday specialties! I laugh when I think back to how I got this recipe. I used to work at Brylane (a catalog ordering co.), and one of the girls there made a delicious pumpkin roll. One day, when I asked for the recipe, she snidely told me that it was a family secret that she wouldn't dare share with me! Shortly after that, I saw this recipe in my cooking magazine and tried it. I think this recipe tastes even better than hers!

Pumpkin Cream-Cheese Roll
-------------------------------

3 eggs
1 cup sugar
1 tsp. lemon juice
2/3 cup cooked or canned pumpkin
1/2 tsp. salt
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 cup finely chopped walnuts, optional

*cream cheese filling:
2 pkgs. (3 oz. each) cream cheese, softened
1 cup powdered sugar
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1/4 cup butter or margarine, softened
additional powdered sugar

In a mixing bowl, beat eggs on high for 5 minutes. Gradually beat in sugar until thick and lemon-colored. Add pumpkin and lemon juice. Combine flour, cinnamon, baking powder, salt and nutmeg; fold into pumpkin mixture. Grease a 15x10x1in. baking pan; line with greased wax paper. Spread batter into pan; sprinkle with walnuts if using. Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes or until cake springs back when lightly touched. Immediately turn out onto a linen towel dusted with powdered sugar. Peel off wax paper and roll cake up in towel, starting with a short end. Cool. Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, powdered sugar, butter and vanilla until fluffy. Carefully unroll the cooled cake. Spread filling over cake to within 1 in. of edges. Roll up again. Cover and chill until serving. Dust with additional powdered sugar if desired. Makes 8-10 servings.

No comments: